The Rhodes Scholarship is one of the most prestigious scholarships in the world. Each year, 32 Rhodes scholars from across the United States are selected to study at Oxford University for two years. Scholars pursue a course of study of their own choosing, while working toward a master’s degree or a second bachelor’s degree. Students are selected on the basis of intellectual distinction, leadership, and service.
- US citizen or permanent resident for at least 5 years prior to the application deadline*
- At least 18, but not yet 24 years old (must still be 23 on October 1 in the year of application).
- Must complete Bachelor’s degree prior to October 1, 2018.
- No GPA requirement, but average GPA of Rhodes Scholars is 3.80
- Applicants must show integrity of character, interest in and concern for others, leadership ability, and the energy to fully use their talents.
- Current SDSU graduate students are eligible if they meet the age requirements.
All current SDSU undergraduate students must receive endorsement through the process below. Without endorsement, currently enrolled undergraduates cannot be considered.
*Students with citizenship in other countries may be eligible to apply to Rhodesthrough their country of citizenship. Application criteria vary, and instructions on the SDSU Rhodes site are only applicable to the selection process in the United States
Application Process for SDSU Students:
- Review the Rhodes application instructions and create an account in the Rhodes Online Portal.
- Carefully read the “Applying for the Scholarship” page on the Rhodes website for details about the certified personal statement and other unique aspects of the application.
- Research possible programs of study at Oxford.
- Review the 2017 RHODES APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR SDSU STUDENTS
2017-2018 Dates & Deadlines
September 1, 2017 at 4:00PM PST: SDSU Campus Deadline*
Thursday and/or Friday, September 7 and 8, 2017: SDSU Rhodes Endorsement Interviews*
Applicants endorsed for the Rhodes by theSDSU Fellowship Endorsement Committee will be notified soon after their interviews.
Monday, September 25, 2017: Deadline to submit final complete application on-line and deliver hard copies of all transcripts to SDSU Rhodes Advisor*
October 1, 2017: Rhodes Trust final deadline
Mid-November 2017: Notification of Finalists and non-Finalists by Rhodes Trust. Finalists receive an invitation to finalist district receptions and interviews
Mid-November 2017: SDSU Fellowship Endorsement Committee members will organize practice interviews prior to the district interviews.
November 17 & 18, 2017: Rhodes District Receptions and Interviews
November 17 & 18, 2017: Finalists will be notified in-person at their District Interview if they have been selected as a Rhodes Scholar-elect.
*Current SDSU undergraduates only
SDSU Rhodes Advisor Contact:
Chris Kjonaas, Associate Director