The George J. Mitchell Scholarship allows approximately 14 American postgraduates annually to pursue one year of study at institutions of higher learning in Ireland and Northern Ireland. There are no restrictions concerning academic field of study. Mitchell Scholars demonstrate significant achievement in academic excellence, leadership, and commitment to community and public service.
Application Information for SDSU Students
- US citizenship at the time of application
- 18 years of age or older, but not yet 30, on September 29 of the year of application (those who turn 30 on September 30th are not eligible).
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university before beginning study as a Mitchell Scholar. Degrees from international accredited universities are acceptable, if all other conditions are met.
- No GPA requirement, but average GPA of Mitchell Scholars is 3.50.
- Current SDSU graduate students are eligible as long as they meet all requirements above, and do not require SDSU endorsement.
All current SDSU undergraduate students must receive endorsement through the process below. Without endorsement, currently enrolled undergraduates cannot be considered.
Application Process for SDSU Students:
- Review the Mitchell application instructions and create an account in the Mitchell Online Portal.
- Carefully read the “Completing the Mitchell Scholarship Application” section on the Mitchell website for details about the certified personal statement and other unique aspects of the application.
- Research possible institutions of interest in Ireland and Northern Ireland (Northern Ireland not available for 2018-19 placement).
- Review the 2017 MITCHELL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR SDSU STUDENTS
2017-2018 Dates & Deadlines
September 1, 2017 at 4:00PM PST: SDSU Campus Deadline*
Thursday and/or Friday, September 7 and 8, 2017: SDSU Mitchell Endorsement Interviews*
Monday, September 25, 2017: Deadline to submit final complete application on-line and deliver all hard copies of all transcripts to SDSU Mitchell Advisor*
September 29, 2017 at 4:00PM EST: Mitchell Scholarship Program Class of 2019 Application Deadline
October 2, 2017 at 4:00PM EST: Required Video Interview submission deadline.
Week of October 23, 2017: Semi-Finalist Skype Interviews
November 2017: Notification of Finalists and non-Finalists by Mitchell Commission
November 17 & 18, 2017: Mitchell Finalist Interviews
November 29, 2017: Mitchell Selection Announcement
*Current SDSU undergraduates only
SDSU Mitchell Advisor Contact:
Chris Kjonaas, Associate Director
Division of Undergraduate Studies